Friday, September 28, 2007

Happy Birthday Grandma Nickell

Mike's Grandma Nickell is the same age as my Granny. She turns 80 this weekend. She is a wonderful woman who lives alone now since her husband, Grandpa, died a couple of years ago. I'll never forget, the very first time Mike introduced me to them, Grandpa walked right up to me on their big porch, gave me a hug and a scratchy kiss on my cheek and said "Michael I can tell why you love her, she's looks sweet enough to eat!"
Grandma still lives in an old "company" house they had moved to a piece of property on the outskirts of Seguin Texas. It has those seams in the walls you see on a mobile home except it isn't a mobile home. I am quite certain that nothing has changed significantly in that house in at least 20 years. She lives the epitomy of the simple life. Whenever we are at her house we feel the peace of not having to rush around. The food is often homegrown and homestyle, the entertainment is conversation for the grown ups and exploration for the kids, bedtime is a fun time in her huge old tub (no shower) and then bunking up all together in one room with the window unit. You would think our girls would mind but they love Grandma Nickell's because she loves them. It is all that matters. We wish we could be there to help honor her 80 years of loving.

No comments: