Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Help me out here...

I haven't completely forgotten that I have a blog. I've actually been thinking about it quite a lot. I can feel the neglect of this blog project I've started with the same keenly guilty conscience that I have about my scrapbooks right now.

SO, since I haven't been able to come to a full conclusion in my own mind on this matter, I'm calling you to help me out.

Dilemma One:
Who actually reads this? I think it is about 6 people (if I'm counting correctly). I'm not sure anyone else actually has the time or interest to do so. I have a hard time getting replies to just emails and those actually arrive at someone's inbox and don't have to be searched out.

Dilemma Two:
I've read that a blog needs a focus. An area of personal interest that may also interest readers. Here are my main "passions", if you will.
a. My own personal relationship with God.
b. Being a wife and a mother at home as well as staying connected with extended family and friends.
c. Ministering to women - fellowshipping with, teaching, learning with, hanging out with, growing with. Especially wives and mothers but also raising little women since I have three in my own house!
d. Physical fitness and health - I've been regularly exercising for 2 1/2 years and running for nearly two. I've done several 5Ks, two half marathons and two half marathons. I have another half marathon scheduled March 3rd. I am an RN but also have an interest in "alternative/holistic/natural/preventative medicine.
e. Travel - I love to go places and hear about others travels. Missions and Missionaries are fascinating to me as well.
f. Reading - I'll read the shampoo bottle if that is all that is handy. I LOVE to read.
g. I have a growing interest in finance and money management as well.

I don't know if I can write enough on just one of these topics and not bore you silly or write so infrequently that you lose interest. How do I narrow the focus down or create the thread that ties it all together and makes someone want to come back to check out what is new?

Dilemma Three - as I previously posted, I love dialogue. I don't want to just "run at the mouth" on a public blog without feedback. Maybe if the first two dilemma's are resolved this one will eventually work out as more people (hopefully) read.

My ultimate desire is for a forum like this to be a place where I can share what is going on in my life, in my head, and in my heart and for others to blessed by it. I don't want to just talk to the wind.

Do you have any insight for me?

In closing , I'll put a few fun pictures on here because this is the only place I seem to "scrapbook" in any form lately!
Gingerbread men, a tradition since 1992


New PJ's on Christmas Eve, a tradition carried on from my family



January 13th
Proof that you never know what you'll get weather-wise in Florida in January! Emily wanted to wear her new "winter" dress and Sarah decided to wear last year's halter style Easter dress. Emily was dressed for the calendar and Sarah was dressed for the temperature. Who were we to argue?! The extra little girl was Sarah's friend who came to sleep over the night before.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I read!

You know, when I started my blog i never gave any of these things thought! Isn't that terrible. As a result I have no direction! I just write like I am writing to friends.

One thing I do though is that I read and comment on other blogs, which brings in quite a few readers.

I think writing about Motherhood is pretty universal, as well as homemaking with three school age children. If you write consistently people will come visit.

I personally think that you would be great writing about any and all of the things you listed. But blogging is also a hobby that is time consuming because writing takes time. So it also depends on how much time you really want to invest.

OK, I think thats it for now!

It was fun talking to you for "real" today!

meh said...

I read you too! I personally would like to hear about all of those "passions" and how you find balance in those things, what/who inspires you in those passions, what encourages/frustrates you in relation to those things, what is the funny side of those things in your life and what is the more serious side. My blog's purpose is to glorify God, to reach out to my friends who are long distance, to encourage, to relate, and to practice my own communication skills. I don't have a primary topic I focus on. Honestly, I don't spend a lot of time with the blogs who have a narrow focus. They just get hit occasionally. The ones I hit on a regular basis are the ones that are more like a visit over a cup of coffee. I like relational and authentic conversation in a blog, and the occasional "soap box" or "how to" thrown in to the mix is just fine. So all that to say, think about sticking with it!! I think you have alot to offer!

Lara said...

I read, except when there has been 5 cases of the stomach virus and two cases of strep throat since Christmas! I would read about books you read, I LOVE TO READ TOO!, the finance stuff is interesting to me too and just about anything else, except running...sorry just not my thing, that is I don't mind reading about it just won't catch me doing it! :) I wouldn't worry about focus unless your trying to make money on your blog...mine is just basicaly a mind dump.