Monday, December 01, 2008

Celebrating Advent



These are my new Advent Jesse Tree ornaments.

I had a set of ornaments that were handmade by a group of Sunday School Moms about 5 years ago but several weren't holding up very well and a few managed to get lost over the last few years.

A couple of years ago I saw a set similar to the ones I've made, but the price was more than I was willing to spend on something I was sure I could make myself. A couple of weeks ago I realized that I was running out of time if I was going to have new ones for this year. Using a couple different sources for pattern ideas I managed to come up with a set that match my Advent Jesse Tree book of devotions. After digging around for some leftover felt and my stash of embroidery thread that dates back to 1990, I got to work. I was so afraid I wouldn't be done by today that I worked diligently for 3 days and managed to get them knocked out before Thanksgiving. I am hoping these can be used for many many many years!!

I am pretty satisfied with this group and I can't wait to start tonight on our first day. Our devotion book does 25 devotions from December 1st until Christmas Day. We are starting with Creation and the first ornament will be the world.

To me the Christmas season can be stressful. My favorite parts are putting up our Christmas tree with all the ornaments we've collected over the years, baking Gingerbread Men, having our Advent devotions, and Christmas Eve services at church. Winding down each evening before putting the girls to bed with a story about God's plan for our redemption keeps my mind on the real reason for the season and away from the stress of all the "fun" that comes along with it!

What are your Christmas traditions?

4 comments:

meh said...

Very impressive!!

Our traditions...well, I guess my favorite one is the advent book we read together each year.

Anonymous said...

I've heard of the Jesse Tree but never knew what it was all about. I love that! Our church has a group of ladies that exchange Jesse tree ornaments every year. Maybe next year I'll have to join.

Unknown said...

That looks fantastic! You do great work!

Anonymous said...

I need to get mine started, but it won't be this year since we are cruising over Christmas! I read a really neat idea... someone said they wrap up 24 Christmas type kids books each year - the same ones every year. The kids get to open one each night and they read it as a family. They just re-wrap the same books each year and said the kids don't care. I need to get my collection up to 24!