Saturday, September 01, 2007

Book Meme

I had no idea what "Meme" stood for before I saw this the first time on Coffeegal's site. From Miriam Webster's site:

Main Entry: meme
Pronunciation: 'mEm
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme
: an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture

Since I always like to have something to read laying around, I'll join in.

What are you reading right now? Best Friends by Martha Moody but it's not so great. A random library pick. Ii may not even finish it. Also the books in my side bar.

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that? I think I'll pick up The Seamstress, another Holocaust survivor story I got from the library. I've read two so far and had to take a break with some lighter fiction for a bit. The stories are so interesting that I don't want to just take them back to the library yet.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now? Mommy magazine - a local newspaper-y publication, several catalogues, and a book called Everyday Talk - a great one for learning to weave conversations about God into our day to day living.

What’s the worst thing you were ever forced to read? Watership Down Someone told my parents when I was about 8 that this would be a great book for me to read. It was kind of a rabbit version of Secret of Nimh crossed with Lord of the Flies. I hated it. I tried reading it again last year and it definitely did not improve with time or maturity.

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone? Aside from the Bible, definitely Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don’t they?
No, I do frequent a couple of libraries but the one closest to me probably recognizes me due to the noise my kids make when we come in. I've learned to request my books online and just come pick them up quickly.


Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don’t like it at all? Not in general (or that I've been told anyway), but recently I tried to get my oldest daughter interested in Little House on the Prairie (I gave her my original boxed set) and she told me it was boring. That hurt!

Do you read books while you do other things? How many times did I get in trouble for this when I was a kid?! I still do it but I've discovered that it is much harder. I still enjoy the bad habit of reading while eating, but not when there is someone to converse with.

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits? Not that I remember. I was just really quiet.

What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down? I read The Secret Life of Becky Miller by Sharon Hinck all in one day that way. To me some novels are just really hard to put down and I'll neglect other things until I finish it. That is why I have to be choosy about when I start a new book!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads-up on Watership Downs!

Also I am going to go check out the Secret Life of Becky Miller! I will finish up my fiction book tonight and need something else to read quick!

Kellie

June Cutoff Cash said...

There is NOTHING better than the Little House books! They are far from boring, in my humble opinion.

And I absolutely loved Watership Down. It was the first grown-up book I ever read.

Blue Skies said...

June! How awesome to get a comment from you! I enjoy your blog very much. What was it you liked about Watership Down? I've met very few people who actually read it.